NEW: National Scrabble Championships Coming to Providence in April
Friday, February 28, 2014
The National School Scrabble Tournament brings together contestants from across the U.S. and Canada and features the youngest and best Scrabble students. Students who compete in the tournament are generally members of a School Scrabble Club where they learn the rules of the game, practice their vocabulary, and learn the benefits of teamwork.
"We are thrilled to continue the tradition of the annual National School Scrabble Tournament," says John Frascotti, chief marketing officer of Hasbro, Inc. "The School Scrabble Program has helped to inspire curiosity and learning among students, and we can't wait to celebrate these students and provide them with an opportunity to show off their exceptional Scrabble skills in a game that is mentally and socially engaging, and fun!"
Live online broadcast
The final round of this year's tournament will be broadcast live online using the innovative RFID SCRABBLE System from Mind Sports (International). The system utilizes custom built RFID technology and unique software that scans the board every 974 milliseconds to transmit the game to a live-stream on the web that showcases each teams tile rack, score breakdown as well as the ‘Best Word' that each team can play at any given point.
Live commentary will accompany the broadcast and a live viewing party will be hosted on-site for those in attendance.
Iconic crossword game
The Scrabble game has been a family favorite since the 1930s when it was invented by Alfred Mosher Butts. Today, it remains one of the most popular and iconic crossword games with millions of games played by both competitive and casual Scrabble enthusiasts of all ages. The Scrabble game has also reached a new community of players in the digital space with more than 15 versions of the digital game from Hasbro licensees including the popular Scrabble for iPad and Scrabble for iPhone games.
Parents, teachers and coaches can go to: http://www.schoolscrabble.us to learn more about the event and to register students for the tournament. Registration costs $100 per team and will be open from now until April 11, 2014.
To learn more about the School Scrabble Program and to register your club to receive more information from Hasbro, please visit Hasbro.com/Scrabble
Related Slideshow: Pawtucket’s Hasbro Celebrates GI Joe’s 50th Anniversary
Joe in Comics
Joe has been a hallmark of a variety of media, but his comic book incarnation is among the most beloved. He has existed in comics in one form or another since the 1940s, decade before the action figure was even manufactured. Here's a shot from a later story, based off the Real American Hero series from the 1980s.
G.I. Joe Today
All of the media platforms, spinoffs and hoopla surrounding this famous RI product ultimately boil down to one thing--the joy and imagination of the people who opened the box to find the original Joe in 1964. Those fans haven't forgotten--and you can bet that GIJoeCon, the annual Dallas fan-centered event, will be prepping for the fiftieth when they assemble this April.
- Kids Get Holiday Cheer at Hasbro’s Miracle Wrap Mall
- NEW: Hasbro to Eliminate PVC from All Packaging by 2013
- Rhode Island’s Hasbro Celebrates 50 Years of G.I. Joe
- More Than 1,000 Walkers Step Out for Hasbro Children’s Hospital
- NEW: Hasbro will cut its workforce by 10 percent
- Fortune Say Hasbro is Best Company to Work For
- NEW: Bradley + Hasbro Hospitals Announce New Med/Psych Facility
- NEW: Hasbro’s “Battleship Ball” Nets Record $1 Million
- Hasbro Continues To Lay Off Workers Despite Expansion Plans
- NEW: Hasbro CEO Bullish on Transformers 4
- NEW: Hasbro’s Mr. Potato Head Turns 60
- Hasbro Donates 25,000 Toys To RI Families In Need
- NEW: Hasbro Children’s Hospital Named Hospital of the Month
- NEW: Hasbro’s Stretch Armstrong Is Next Film Project
- Hasbro Volunteers Get 35,000 Toys Ready for Needy RI Kids
- NEW: Hasbro Children’s Hospital Pediatric ICU Receives AACN Award
- NEW: RE/MAX Donates $5,000 to Hasbro Children’s Hospital
- Hasbro to Hold “Global Day of Joy” For Children in Need on Friday
- NEW: Hasbro Named Most Famous Brand in Rhode Island
- Hasbro’s Online “Monopoly” Contributes to Kids’ Causes Worldwide
- NEW: Hasbro Will Produce Gender-Neutral Easy-Bake Oven