PODCAST: EXCLUSIVE: Tremmel to File Grievance Against WJAR in Culture Clash
Thursday, February 20, 2014
Related Slideshow: Rhode Island’s Changing Media Landscape
Radio, print, television and digital - the faces in Rhode Islands's media has changed drastically over the past months... Let's take a look at some of the biggest moves:
The long-time publisher was Belo's man in Providence. Howard Sutton was the man that implemented the changes that Dallas wanted to try and make the company more efficient and more profitable.
The results were dismal. Maybe no newspaper in the country lost a higher precentage of ad revenue than the Projo over the past decade.
He was the face of the paper in the community.
Rick Daniels has joined GoLocal24 as Chief Operating Officer.
Daniels is the former President of the Boston Globe. He also served as CEO of Gatehouse Media for New England and led a consortium of investors who attempted to purchase the Boston Globe from the New York Times Company in 2013.
Daniels then went on to play a key role at Empirical Media Advisors based in New York, focused mainly on Tribune Publishing, where Emprical’s co-founder and CEO, Jack Griffin, recently took the role of CEO.
WLNE-TV has fired anchor Karen Meyers. She had been with the station since 2011.
Meyers had anchored the 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. news with John DeLuca. Sources say station management opted not to renew her contract and decided to go in another direction.
Before Meyers joined ABC6, she was a reporter/anchor with New England Cable News and was a reporter in Washington, DC.
According to RIPR reporter Ian Donnis, Providence Journal's Health Reporter is leaving. Felice Freyer has been the sole reporter covering Rhode Island's largest businss sector.
Freyer leaves for the Boston Globe.
Her departure follows Phil Marcelo who recently left the Projo for AP in Boston.
Editor's note: An earlier version incorrectly had RIPR reporter Scott MacKay as breaking the story.
Veteran radio reporter Flo Jonic recently was fired by RINPR after she filed complaints against the station for gender-based pay discrimination.
Jonic is a 30 year veteran of New England news radio.
In her charge filed in February, Jonic wrote, "I believe that I have been discriminated against based on my sex by my employer," and referred to the difference in her pay and that of RIPR reporter Ian Donnis.
"Currently, [reporter] Ian Donnis earns at least $75,000 a year, while I make $51,000 per year. We perform the same duties, and I have 32 more years experience than he does," wrote Jonic in her complaint.
After a seven year stint reporting for the Providence Journal's state house bureau, Phil Marcelo left the paper to take a reporting gig with the Boston office of the Associated Press.
Hailing from Long Island, New York, Marcelo came to ProJo in 2006, and covered everything from regional news, to Providence City Hall and the Statehouse. Marcelo's departure was first reported by WRNI's Ian Donnis.
Formerly a nightly news reporter for WJAR, Tremmel was fired from the "Team You Trust" after two clips, one of her performing on-air handstands, and the other offering tips on what to do during a bear attack, went viral.
The video became an internet sensation, but long-time Channel 10 newsman Jim Taricani called Tremmel’s antics “a smudge on our station's reputation.”
A long-time staple of Channel 10’s news team, Taricani announced plans to retire after over three decades with the station.
Taricani has won 5 regional Emmy awards, an Edward R. Murrow award for investigative journalism and a Prestigious Yankee Quill Award from the New England Newspaper Association.
He was convicted to six months in prison in 2004 for refusing to reveal a source, and is the youngest person ever to be inducted into the Rhode Island Hall of Fame.
Ron St. Pierre
- BACK TO SCHOOL 2011: Social + Digital Media for Academic Success
- Don Roach: Welcome to the Era of Social Media Wars
- Hasbro Goes Shopping for a New Media Buying Firm
- Media Buzz: Cumulus Shake-Up Begins, New Sunrise Show Shines, Where’s The New ProJo?
- Media Influencers - Part 1
- NEW: Bloggers and Reporters Discuss Journalism and New Media on WSBE TONIGHT
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Weddings + Social Media
- RI Media Buzz: Bra Beats News, Pro-Jo & PRO Battle, New Look for 10 and more!
- Rob Horowitz: Social Media Becoming a Force in Politics
- Trender: Mixed Media Artist Wendyll Brown
- EXCLUSIVE: Tremmel to File Grievance Against WJAR in Culture Clash
- BIA/Kelsey Names GoLocal24 Future Star in Local Digital Media
- Election Coverage: Media Winners and Losers
- Haute Tags Puts Social Media + Jewelry Together
- LIVE: Crowdwire Social Media Exit Poll
- Media Buzz: Former Anchor Forced To Resign, Edward R. Murrow Speaks, Cicilline Radio Grab
- Media Influencers - Part 2, the Opinion Makers
- NEW: Dave Layman Named Communications and Media Strategies Director for Brendan Doherty
- NEW: RI Pension Lawsuit Mediation Update Coming Wednesday
- Pat Paolino Cruz Joins Mediapeel - Will Head New Social Women Division
- RI Media Changes - Glover Out and St. Pierre in at WHJJ
- Rob Horowitz: Trust in Media Near an All Time Low
- Trender: Social Media Guru Kevin DeSoto
- In Case You Missed It: Julie Tremmel Out at WJAR 10
- Bob Lobel: How We Brand Ourselves in the Media
- Former BankRI CEO Lands $300/Hour Gig Mediating Foreclosures
- Homeless Advocates Call for Immediate Action
- Leading Media Strategist Merrill Brown Joins GoLocal24 Board
- Media Buzz: Help for Hasbro, Doerr heads for the door, Sox $$, Here “Today” Gone Tomorrow?
- Media Wars: WPRO Launches Promo Using Progressive Blog’s Name
- NEW: Discussion Features Social Media and Egyptian Impact
- NEW: Schilling Heckler is Providence Wannabe Comedian
- Pell Calls on Mediation Parties to Set Deadline in RI Pension Suit
- RI Media Christmas Wish List: The Top 20
- Russell Moore: Newspapers: The Typewriters Of Media
- URI to Host Social Media “Social”
- NEW: Julie Tremmel Out at WJAR 10
- GoLocal is Hiring - We are Looking for Digital Media Consultants
- Local Media Buzz & More!
- Media Buzz: More Bra News, Reporter beats Slap Flap, Bragging Awards out
- Media’s Coverage of the Election
- NEW: Gemma Steps Down From Mediapeel; Congressional Run Likely
- NEW: Seven Swords Media Receives Inc. 500 Award
- PriMedia Complaint found to Have “No Probable Cause.”
- RI Media Experts Weigh In On Pro-Jo Pay Wall
- SUCCEED WITH STYLE: How to Handle a Media Interview with Style
- Up Close With Social Media Entrepreneur Abby Moreau
- 10 Examples Why News Media is in Chaos
- Brown Grad Gains Inspiration Through Social Media
- GoLocal24 Closes Second Round of Financing Led by Cork Media and Angel Street Capital
- Major Media Money Losses On Monday
- Media Buzz: Radio DJ Learns Fate, TV Make-Over, Matt Lauer Makes Channel 10
- Mediapeel Acquires Eternity Productions
- NEW: GoGo Cast Launches App With Alex and Ani’s Seven Swords Media
- NEW: State Sen. Calls for Immediate Action on Landfill Odors
- Publisher of Media Magazine Rips Chafee
- RI Media To Remember 9/11 In A Special Way
- Seven Swords Media Selected for New HP and Google Technology Pilot
- Using Social Media for Employee Health Benefits
- 10 Things College Students Should Know About Social Media
- Brown Leads Massive Online Survey on Parenting, Media + Learning
- Good is Good: 5 Things Social Media Tells Us About Men
- Is Channel 10 Safe From Media General Lay-Offs?
- Media Buzz: Anchor Wanted, More Cumulus Cuts, Is Channel 10 For Sale?, Radio Ratings Winners
- Media Buzz: Valicenti, Vieira, & White, Radio Wars and More!
- Modern Manners + Etiquette: Social Media Misbehaviors
- NEW: GoLocalProv News Editor to Appear on Media Panel at RIC
- NEW: State Won’t Extend Contract with PriMedia
- Pursuing Technology + Fiber Optics With a Multi-Media Education
- Rhode Island Candidates with the Most Social Media Reach
- State Report: Social Media Privacy, Taxi Cab Tax + Jobs for Vets
- Warwick Veterans Students Create Award-Winning Media Campaign for Day One
- Alex and Ani CEO Feroce Launches Seven Swords Media
- College Admissions: How Social Media Can Ruin Your Application
- Good is Good: Is Gossip Running Media?
- Is RI Media a Boys Club?
- Media Buzz: Ch 10’s Traffic, WPRO-AM Try Out?, Former Ch12 Anchor Done Deal
- Media Experts Question Pollster’s Dual Roles for Speaker and Media
- NEW: ‘Tax the Rich’ Group Launches Media Campaign
- NEW: MSNBC’s Chris Hayes to Lead Media Panel Discussion at Brown
- New England Colleges With Biggest Social Media Reach
- RI Favorites - The Return of Media Commentary
- TRENDER: Lifespan’s Social Media Guru Nancy Cawley Jean
- What’s Making Newz In Local Media
- Atlantic 10 Media Day ReCap
- Comedian Bob Marley Coming to Newport
- Good is Good: Trying to Live Without Social Media
- LIN Media: Channel 12 Owners OK Stock Deal
- Media Buzz: Channel 12 Reporter Goes Home, Changes at Coast 93.3, ABC-6 Revolving Door, and More
- Media Failed Victims In Bernie Fine Case
- NEW: Alex and Ani Expands Media Division
- NEW: Mediation Ordered in State Pension Reform Lawsuit
- New Research: Teens, Alcohol & Social Media
- RI Media - LIN Up, Belo Down, Phoenix Laysoffs Five, GoLocal Up 500%
- Rob Horowitz: New Media Trends Accelerate
- Test Your Local Media Memory—-Take Our Quiz
- Who’s Made The Grade In Media