PODCAST: EXCLUSIVE: Tremmel to File Grievance Against WJAR in Culture Clash
Thursday, February 20, 2014
Rhode Island’s Changing Media Landscape
Radio, print, television and digital- the faces in Rhode Islands's media has changed drastically over the past months... Let's take a look at some of the biggest moves:
After a seven year stint reporting for the Providence Journal's state house bureau, Phil Marcelo left the paper to take a reporting gig with the Boston office of the Associated Press.
Hailing from Long Island, New York, Marcelo came to ProJo in 2006, and covered everything from regional news, to Providence City Hall and the Statehouse. Marcelo's departure was first reported by WRNI's Ian Donnis.
Formerly a nightly news reporter for WJAR, Tremmel was fired from the "Team You Trust" after two clips, one of her performing on-air handstands, and the other offering tips on what to do during a bear attack, went viral.
The video became an internet sensation, but long-time Channel 10 newsman Jim Taricani called Tremmel’s antics “a smudge on our station's reputation.”
A long-time staple of Channel 10’s news team, Taricani announced plans to retire after over three decades with the station.
Taricani has won 5 regional Emmy awards, an Edward R. Murrow award for investigative journalism and a Prestigious Yankee Quill Award from the New England Newspaper Association.
He was convicted to six months in prison in 2004 for refusing to reveal a source, and is the youngest person ever to be inducted into the Rhode Island Hall of Fame.
Ron St. Pierre
- EXCLUSIVE: Tremmel to File Grievance Against WJAR in Culture Clash
- In Case You Missed It: Julie Tremmel Out at WJAR 10
- NEW: Julie Tremmel Out at WJAR 10
- 10 Examples Why News Media is in Chaos
- 10 Things College Students Should Know About Social Media
- Alex and Ani CEO Feroce Launches Seven Swords Media
- Atlantic 10 Media Day ReCap
- BACK TO SCHOOL 2011: Social + Digital Media for Academic Success
- BIA/Kelsey Names GoLocal24 Future Star in Local Digital Media
- Bob Lobel: How We Brand Ourselves in the Media
- Brown Grad Gains Inspiration Through Social Media
- Brown Leads Massive Online Survey on Parenting, Media + Learning
- College Admissions: How Social Media Can Ruin Your Application
- Comedian Bob Marley Coming to Newport
- Don Roach: Welcome to the Era of Social Media Wars
- Election Coverage: Media Winners and Losers
- Former BankRI CEO Lands $300/Hour Gig Mediating Foreclosures
- GoLocal is Hiring - We are Looking for Digital Media Consultants
- GoLocal24 Closes Second Round of Financing Led by Cork Media and Angel Street Capital
- Good is Good: 5 Things Social Media Tells Us About Men
- Good is Good: Is Gossip Running Media?
- Good is Good: Trying to Live Without Social Media
- Hasbro Goes Shopping for a New Media Buying Firm
- Haute Tags Puts Social Media + Jewelry Together
- Homeless Advocates Call for Immediate Action
- Is Channel 10 Safe From Media General Lay-Offs?
- Is RI Media a Boys Club?
- LIN Media: Channel 12 Owners OK Stock Deal
- LIVE: Crowdwire Social Media Exit Poll
- Leading Media Strategist Merrill Brown Joins GoLocal24 Board
- Local Media Buzz & More!
- Major Media Money Losses On Monday
- Media Buzz: Anchor Wanted, More Cumulus Cuts, Is Channel 10 For Sale?, Radio Ratings Winners
- Media Buzz: Ch 10’s Traffic, WPRO-AM Try Out?, Former Ch12 Anchor Done Deal
- Media Buzz: Channel 12 Reporter Goes Home, Changes at Coast 93.3, ABC-6 Revolving Door, and More
- Media Buzz: Cumulus Shake-Up Begins, New Sunrise Show Shines, Where’s The New ProJo?
- Media Buzz: Former Anchor Forced To Resign, Edward R. Murrow Speaks, Cicilline Radio Grab
- Media Buzz: Help for Hasbro, Doerr heads for the door, Sox $$, Here “Today” Gone Tomorrow?
- Media Buzz: More Bra News, Reporter beats Slap Flap, Bragging Awards out
- Media Buzz: Radio DJ Learns Fate, TV Make-Over, Matt Lauer Makes Channel 10
- Media Buzz: Valicenti, Vieira, & White, Radio Wars and More!
- Media Experts Question Pollster’s Dual Roles for Speaker and Media
- Media Failed Victims In Bernie Fine Case
- Media Influencers - Part 1
- Media Influencers - Part 2, the Opinion Makers
- Media Wars: WPRO Launches Promo Using Progressive Blog’s Name
- Media’s Coverage of the Election
- Mediapeel Acquires Eternity Productions
- Modern Manners + Etiquette: Social Media Misbehaviors
- NEW: ‘Tax the Rich’ Group Launches Media Campaign
- NEW: Alex and Ani Expands Media Division
- NEW: Bloggers and Reporters Discuss Journalism and New Media on WSBE TONIGHT
- NEW: Dave Layman Named Communications and Media Strategies Director for Brendan Doherty
- NEW: Discussion Features Social Media and Egyptian Impact
- NEW: Gemma Steps Down From Mediapeel; Congressional Run Likely
- NEW: GoGo Cast Launches App With Alex and Ani’s Seven Swords Media
- NEW: GoLocalProv News Editor to Appear on Media Panel at RIC
- NEW: MSNBC’s Chris Hayes to Lead Media Panel Discussion at Brown
- NEW: Mediation Ordered in State Pension Reform Lawsuit
- NEW: RI Pension Lawsuit Mediation Update Coming Wednesday
- NEW: Schilling Heckler is Providence Wannabe Comedian
- NEW: Seven Swords Media Receives Inc. 500 Award
- NEW: State Sen. Calls for Immediate Action on Landfill Odors
- NEW: State Won’t Extend Contract with PriMedia
- New England Colleges With Biggest Social Media Reach
- New Research: Teens, Alcohol & Social Media
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Weddings + Social Media
- Pat Paolino Cruz Joins Mediapeel - Will Head New Social Women Division
- Pell Calls on Mediation Parties to Set Deadline in RI Pension Suit
- PriMedia Complaint found to Have “No Probable Cause.”
- Publisher of Media Magazine Rips Chafee
- Pursuing Technology + Fiber Optics With a Multi-Media Education
- RI Favorites - The Return of Media Commentary
- RI Media - LIN Up, Belo Down, Phoenix Laysoffs Five, GoLocal Up 500%
- RI Media Buzz: Bra Beats News, Pro-Jo & PRO Battle, New Look for 10 and more!
- RI Media Changes - Glover Out and St. Pierre in at WHJJ
- RI Media Christmas Wish List: The Top 20
- RI Media Experts Weigh In On Pro-Jo Pay Wall
- RI Media To Remember 9/11 In A Special Way
- Rhode Island Candidates with the Most Social Media Reach
- Rob Horowitz: New Media Trends Accelerate
- Rob Horowitz: Social Media Becoming a Force in Politics
- Rob Horowitz: Trust in Media Near an All Time Low
- Russell Moore: Newspapers: The Typewriters Of Media
- SUCCEED WITH STYLE: How to Handle a Media Interview with Style
- Seven Swords Media Selected for New HP and Google Technology Pilot
- State Report: Social Media Privacy, Taxi Cab Tax + Jobs for Vets
- TRENDER: Lifespan’s Social Media Guru Nancy Cawley Jean
- Test Your Local Media Memory—-Take Our Quiz
- Trender: Mixed Media Artist Wendyll Brown
- Trender: Social Media Guru Kevin DeSoto
- URI to Host Social Media “Social”
- Up Close With Social Media Entrepreneur Abby Moreau
- Using Social Media for Employee Health Benefits
- Warwick Veterans Students Create Award-Winning Media Campaign for Day One
- What’s Making Newz In Local Media
- Who’s Made The Grade In Media
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.