NEW: RI Gov Chafee Calls for Talk Show Host DePetro to be Fired
Thursday, December 12, 2013
Governor Chafee's Spokesperson Christine Hunsinger told GoLocalProv.com, "Chafee signed the petition (to remove DePetro) because he has daughters."
Chafee's pledge is one of 17 Democratic elected officials who have signed a pledge started by the organization, "For Our Daughters," -- a group tied to a number of Rhode Island leading union officials. The pledge says, "We have asked Rhode Island elected officials and candidates running for office not to go on any WPRO talk show until WPRO ends their relationship with John DePetro."
WPRO is owned by Cumulus Media, Inc.
Chafee's Previously Banned Talk Radio
This is the second time Chafee has battled with talk radio. In 2010, Michael Harrison, Publisher of "Talkers Magazine" criticized Governor Chafee's ban on his administration's association with talk radio.
In an interview with Harrison, GoLocalProv asked him for his thoughts on the Governor's notion to put a limit on talk radio within his administration. Harrison had heard about it and had an opinion on it.
"The Governor forgot for a moment that he was elected Governor, not king. His statement and position was off base and quite ignorant on several levels... constitutionally, academically and economically. I'm glad he has since retreated from his remarkable foolishness."
Rhode Island’s Changing Media Landscape
Radio, print, television and digital- the faces in Rhode Islands's media has changed drastically over the past months... Let's take a look at some of the biggest moves:
After a seven year stint reporting for the Providence Journal's state house bureau, Phil Marcelo left the paper to take a reporting gig with the Boston office of the Associated Press.
Hailing from Long Island, New York, Marcelo came to ProJo in 2006, and covered everything from regional news, to Providence City Hall and the Statehouse. Marcelo's departure was first reported by WRNI's Ian Donnis.
Formerly a nightly news reporter for WJAR, Tremmel was fired from the "Team You Trust" after two clips, one of her performing on-air handstands, and the other offering tips on what to do during a bear attack, went viral.
The video became an internet sensation, but long-time Channel 10 newsman Jim Taricani called Tremmel’s antics “a smudge on our station's reputation.”
A long-time staple of Channel 10’s news team, Taricani announced plans to retire after over three decades with the station.
Taricani has won 5 regional Emmy awards, an Edward R. Murrow award for investigative journalism and a Prestigious Yankee Quill Award from the New England Newspaper Association.
He was convicted to six months in prison in 2004 for refusing to reveal a source, and is the youngest person ever to be inducted into the Rhode Island Hall of Fame.
Ron St. Pierre
- Chafee Talk Radio Ban is Much More Than Blah, Blah, Blah
- Chafee Tunes Out Talk Radio
- NEW: Major Radio Takeover Could Affect Local Talk Radio
- Travis Rowley: In Defense of Talk Radio
- What RI Talk Radio Can Learn From Tucson Tragedy
- Blowout at the Biltmore by John DePetro
- Chafee blasts Schilling Deal on DePetro show
- Did stress kill the yellow lobster? By John DePetro
- Exclusive: Dumping DePetro In Morning Hurting WPRO-AM
- Having Said That by John DePetro
- Having Said That by John DePetro
- In the Stretch by John DePetro
- John DePetro: Will it Be a Summer of Blood in Rhode Island?
- NEW: DePetro Accuses Martin and Dufault of Being Behind Threats
- NEW: Lawyer Says DePetro is ‘Completely Innocent’
- NEW: WPRO’s DePetro Suspended
- NEW: WPRO’s John DePetro Claims He Was Threatened Says Lawyer
- NEW: WPRO’s John DePetro Sued For Sexual Harassment
- NEW: Watson Appearance Chaos on DePetro’s Show
- Read the Complaint Against DePetro
- The Bang State by John DePetro
- The Howard Beale Candidacy by John DePetro
- The PG-13 Presidency by John DePetro
- Top 10 of 2010: Frank Caprio & John DePetro
- Voters to Obama: ‘Shove It’ By John DePetro
- WPRO’s John DePetro Apologizes
- Welcome to Rhode Island President Obama by John DePetro
- What happened to the Block Party? By John DePetro
- YOU DECIDE: DePetro or Gobeil on WPRO-AM