NEW: DePetro’s Attorney Blasts Governor Chafee
Thursday, December 12, 2013
Today, DePetro's attorney issued a blistering attack on Chafee.
The statement issued:
"John DePetro has been a frequent critic of certain union positions and tactics. John has been a vocal critic of Governor Chafee and he has questioned many of the Governor's policy decisions and the priorities of this administration, including his past refusal to call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree.
It is no surprise that certain union activists, now joined by the Governor, simply want a critic with a microphone and an audience to be silenced.
Mr. DePetro has been threatened with physical violence. This has no place in a civilized society. Have we heard from Governor Chafee or the offended progressive that it is wrong to threaten an individual with physical harm based upon language used or thoughts expressed? Of course not.
The Governor is joining forces with those attempting to suppress the free speech of a radio talk show.
Suppression of political thought is zealously exercised by many governments and regimes around the globe. Attempts to suppress the free expression of speech, thoughts and ideas, is antithetical to the United States Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the vibrant history of this country and the State of Rhode Island to freely debate and discuss the political and social issues of the day.”
Timothy J. Dodd, Esquire
Attorney for John DePetro
(EDITOR'S NOTE: The above statement replaces an earlier version - the change was made at the request of Mr. DePetro)
Rhode Island’s Changing Media Landscape
Radio, print, television and digital- the faces in Rhode Islands's media has changed drastically over the past months... Let's take a look at some of the biggest moves:
After a seven year stint reporting for the Providence Journal's state house bureau, Phil Marcelo left the paper to take a reporting gig with the Boston office of the Associated Press.
Hailing from Long Island, New York, Marcelo came to ProJo in 2006, and covered everything from regional news, to Providence City Hall and the Statehouse. Marcelo's departure was first reported by WRNI's Ian Donnis.
Formerly a nightly news reporter for WJAR, Tremmel was fired from the "Team You Trust" after two clips, one of her performing on-air handstands, and the other offering tips on what to do during a bear attack, went viral.
The video became an internet sensation, but long-time Channel 10 newsman Jim Taricani called Tremmel’s antics “a smudge on our station's reputation.”
A long-time staple of Channel 10’s news team, Taricani announced plans to retire after over three decades with the station.
Taricani has won 5 regional Emmy awards, an Edward R. Murrow award for investigative journalism and a Prestigious Yankee Quill Award from the New England Newspaper Association.
He was convicted to six months in prison in 2004 for refusing to reveal a source, and is the youngest person ever to be inducted into the Rhode Island Hall of Fame.
Ron St. Pierre
- Chafee blasts Schilling Deal on DePetro show
- Did stress kill the yellow lobster? By John DePetro
- Exclusive: Dumping DePetro In Morning Hurting WPRO-AM
- Having Said That by John DePetro
- In the Stretch by John DePetro
- John DePetro: Will it Be a Summer of Blood in Rhode Island?
- NEW: DePetro Accuses Martin and Dufault of Being Behind Threats
- NEW: Lawyer Says DePetro is ‘Completely Innocent’
- NEW: RI Gov Chafee Calls for Talk Show Host DePetro to be Fired
- NEW: WPRO’s DePetro Suspended
- NEW: WPRO’s John DePetro Claims He Was Threatened Says Lawyer
- NEW: WPRO’s John DePetro Sued For Sexual Harassment
- NEW: Watson Appearance Chaos on DePetro’s Show
- Read the Complaint Against DePetro
- The Bang State by John DePetro
- The Howard Beale Candidacy by John DePetro
- Top 10 of 2010: Frank Caprio & John DePetro
- Voters to Obama: ‘Shove It’ By John DePetro
- WPRO’s John DePetro Apologizes
- Welcome to Rhode Island President Obama by John DePetro
- What happened to the Block Party? By John DePetro